- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 48 ounces of reduced sodium beef broth
- 14 ounces petite cut diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cook beef on medium heat in a Dutch oven for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
- Remove beef and set aside. Sauté onions, celery, mushrooms, and carrots until tender but crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, broth, bay leaves, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Continue simmering 1 hour. Add barley and frozen peas and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking 30 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Servings per Recipe: 7 - 1 cup servings
- Calories: 228
- Calories from Fat: 33
- Total Fat: 3
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
- Sodium: 533 mg
- Carbohydrate: 22 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Exchange: 1 ½ Starch, 2 Lean Meats, 1 Vegetable
- Carbohydrate Units: 1 ½