Being active has many benefits.
- Helps maintain weight
- Helps grow strong bones and muscles
- Improves mood
- Increases focus in school
- Helps with managing stress
- Improves sleep quality
- Lowers blood glucose and keeps it close to normal
You should be active at least 60 minutes per day. If you have not been very active in the past, you should start slowly.
Most importantly, exercise should include activities you enjoy. For example:
- Bike riding
- Walking or hiking
- Skateboarding, rollerblading, or ice skating
- Team sports
- Virtual exercise through active video games
- Joining active programs like swim clubs, YMCA, 4-H, Boy or Girl Scouts, or Boys and Girls Clubs
Physical activity can also be an opportunity to bond with family. For example, playing a game of basketball together or going for a family bike ride.